PERK Tracking System Training for Law Enforcement
The PERK Tracking System Training for Law Enforcement is intended to train law enforcement to use the Department of Forensic Science’s (DFS) PERK Tracking System to log actions performed on PERKs such as:
- Receiving a PERK from a collection site;
- Transferring a PERK to the DFS for analysis;
- Generating a PIN to grant a victim/survivor access to the System for information about their kit; and
- Designating a statutory reason for not submitting a kit to DFS for analysis.
Use of the PERK Tracking System is mandatory effective July 1, 2020 (Code §19.2-11.13), so individuals from agencies who have not yet completed training must do so before being granted access to the System.
Any individual from a law enforcement agency who currently handles PERKs and will be logging information about the location and status of those PERKs in the Tracking System for their agency should participate in training.
Currently, DFS offers two methods of PERK Tracking System Training for Law Enforcement:
- Video Training: Participants view a 50 minute training video
- Interactive Web Training: Upon request, law enforcement agencies can schedule an interactive training held via Google Hangouts
Please contact PERK Tracking System Coordinator Madison Boden at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.